The Fort Ross trading post, on the northeast shore of Bellot Strait is situated on the southeast tip of Somerset Island. Fort Ross was established in 1937 and lasted for eleven years. Today the building has been refurbished and strengthened against bears, and acts as a refuge for researchers, hunters and crews of boats passing through. It is of particular interest by yachts and commercial cruise ships attempting a Northwest Passage to stop and sign the "Guest Register" while waiting on Bellot Strait tides, weather and/or ice on either side of Bellot Strait.
Fort Ross was the last trading post to be established by the Hudson's Bay Company.
Henry A. Larsen (explorer) reached it in 1942 aboard the 104 foot RCMPV St. ROCH, in the summer of 2006. The St. ROCH is a historic vessel available for viewing at the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
COPYRIGHT © 2013 Douglas Pohl
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Email: douglas_pohl (at) yahoo (dot) com