Start Geo-Engineering The Arctic By Spring 2013 Or Face Catastrophe!
• Arctic warming is much faster than global warming, by a factor of about 6 times, and the warming is accelerating, due to positive feedback.
• Warming is mostly driven by currents from the Atlantic and the loss of albedo effect.
• The extra heat flux, which is warming the Arctic with respect to its pre-industrial temperature, is currently of the order of one petawatt.
• September sea ice volume trend is to zero in 2014 or 2015, by which time the heat flux would be nearly double what it is at present.
• This could be a point of no return, when it becomes impossible to prevent further retreat of the sea ice, with accelerated Arctic warming causing ever larger methane emissions in a feedback loop until runaway global warming becomes inevitable.
• Geoengineering techniques for cooling the Arctic have to be applied by spring 2013 to reduce that risk as far as it is possible to do so.